Skip to main content

The Obscure and Powerful Philomena


Saint Philomena: The Obscure Princess Martyr

Philomena: the obscure little martyr saint of the Catholic Church. Hardly anything is veritably known about her. Sure, there have been some private revelations concerning her life, but those aren’t dogma, and even with those private visions granted to the saints as testimony, still little is known of this young saint. Perhaps, that is why it has taken me so long to really take her close to my heart as I have as of late. I knew little of her. She wasn’t a St. Therese having written her own autobiography, delving deep into her life. When I moved to Oregon for a job position and my roommates vouched the reason they got the house with furniture was due to a novena to St. Philomena, I didn’t take it too seriously. I mean, it was remarkable, sure, that they prayed to her for a house near the church with furniture, and then ended getting the one across the street fully furnished. But, still, even if I wasn’t about to discredit Philomena, I still didn’t feel inclined to pray to her, didn’t think she’d hear me, didn’t feel that connection you sometimes do toward certain saints.

When I finally turned to Philomena, it was during a little crisis of my own. I am not going to go into that crisis. I am just going to say, she seemed to hear me. After that, I began to pray to her quite often. I even got a little second class relic of hers. She hasn’t cured me of any incurable diseases necessarily, but I suddenly am beginning to realize how powerful and kind she is. Even the tiniest little requests, she seems to hear and grant quickly.


These images were found on her tomb. If you switch the order, you will get: Pax Tecum Filumena, which is equivalent to "Peace be with you, Philomena" in English. Top two images found at: National Centre for St. Philomena in Australia

Saint John Vianney, the miracle-working priest who is so well-known, was very attached to Philomena. He once said, "My children, Saint Philomena has great power with God, and she has, moreover, a kind heart; let us pray to her with confidence. Her virginity and generosity in embracing her heroic martyrdom have rendered her so agreeable to God that He will never refuse her anything that she asks for us." She proved her kindness toward him many times. One time, when he was approaching death, he asked God for some more time since he felt he had empty hands. At the moment, a Mass was being said for him in honor of Philomena, and he was cured. (2016, Melvin, n.p.)

Image found at: Saint Philomena Facebook Page
Not only was the well-known Saint John Vianney a big supporter of our little saint, but so was venerable Pauline Jaricot. Pauline was very ill and noticeably so when she made her trip in 1835. The Holy Father, Pope Gregory XVI himself came out to see this sickly woman to console her. She asked him if she came back well from her trip to Mugnano, where Philomena’s shrine was, if he’d deign to proceed the final inquiry in Saint Philomena’s Cause. “Yes, my daughter,” he answered, “for that would be a miracle of the first class.” He then turned to one of the superiors of the Sacred Heart nuns and commented on how ill Pauline seemed to him, saying, “We shall never see her again.” (2016, Melvin, n.p.)

When Pauline arrived in Mugnano, her health seemed to worsen. She went near the Saint’s shrine to receive Holy Communion, and ended up fainting. The crowd thought death had taken her, but when they attempted to carry her out, she regained consciousness well enough to signal those around her to bring her back to the relics. They did so, and tears fell from her face and color returned again to her cheeks. Pauline was cured.


When Pauline returned to the pope in good health, he told her he would build a chapel in Philomena’s honor. This healing of Pauline’s helped pave the way in getting the obscure martyr better known and recognized.   

There are countless stories like the above not only told by "ordinary folk" like you and me, but venerables, blesseds, and saints of the Catholic Church. If you doubt Philomena, give her a "go" and ask for her prayers. You will soon see how amazing this little saint is. 

References: 

Melvin (2016) The Cure of Ars and Saint Philomena. http://www.thelivingrosary.com/vianney.asp


Saint Philomena: Virgin, Martyr and Wonderworker https://www.facebook.com/SaintPhilomenaVirginMartyrWonderworker/?fref=ts


Melvin (2016) The Match That Lit the Fire. http://www.philomena.org/foundress.asp

N.A.(2011) Discovery of the Holy Relics of St. Philomena. Website: http://philomena-australia.org/index_files/Page712.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Saint Philomena Found me a Husband

By Cara E. Ruegg You often hear it said, “To Saint Philomena, God refuses nothing.” Saint John Vianney was the author of those words. He loved Philomena. Pauline Jaricot, another devotee of Philomena, who was alive during the Cure’s time and who was healed by Philomena herself, came to him one day with relics of this dear saint, and told him, “Have full confidence in this great saint; she will obtain for you all that you ask.”   John Vianney claims he felt a love enkindled in his heart for Philomena soon as he got hold of her relics. He often referred to her as his “dear little saint”, going so far as to blame all the miracles wrought through him, on her. In fact, when he was at death’s door and the doctors had given up all hope of his recovery, it was through the intercession of Philomena that he was miraculously cured. (www.philomena.org/vianney.asp) Despite all this, despite the fact so many saints and even popes have praised her to the skies, I never thought

St. Don Bosco's Discipline Methods

By: Cara E. Ruegg Saint John Bosco is known for his care for the youth. His methods were perhaps seen as “new age” during his time, even though he drew inspiration from those before him such as St. Francis de Sales. His methods clearly bore good fruit, however, despite scrutiny from others. Under his care arose a great saint: Dominic Savio. He likewise converted many who were seen as hopeless cases. Below I have summarized one of Don Bosco’s writings: The Preventative System . In it, he outlines his discipline methods that bore such good fruit. I feel it can be easily applied both to educators as well as parents. Corporal Punishment is Largely Ineffective   Don Bosco says, "With the young, punishment is everything that is meant as a punishment. Thus it is known that a reproachful look is more effective than a blow...To strike one in anyway...and other similar punishments should be absolutely avoided." (pg 3) Punishment Should be Administered Privately "Except in very

My Home Water Birth During a Snowstorm

By: Cara E. Ruegg You were four days late and I was anxious for your arrival. My last midwife appointment, I was told I was measuring two weeks ahead; it was implied maybe I had gestational diabetes after all but I had been monitoring my sugars with my glucometer, something I thought far more accurate anyway, and fasting and after meals was still normal even with dessert, so I don’t think it was that. The midwife suggested I consider an ultrasound to check your weight to see if we should do the hospital route. She said she was trained to handle shoulder dystocia even at home but would prefer more hands. I remembered with your brother how inaccurate that last ultrasound was, nearly two pounds off. I also later did research and found maternal outcomes were better when the woman didn’t know her child would be big. It made sense. Fear is the enemy of labour. I was told though if you came before the ultrasound, we’d just go ahead with the home birth, so I was now ready for you to come, wher